CM/ECF in the First Circuit Court of Appeals will be unavailable from 10:00 pm until midnight on Saturdays, when necessary for system maintenance.
The First Circuit Court of Appeals upgraded its CM/ECF system to the Next Generation of CM/ECF ("NextGen") on August 21, 2017. Users who had a CM/ECF account in this court prior to that date are required to update their legacy account. Please do not register for a new account if you name appears on the attached list. Duplicate registrations will not be approved.
Users who have never had a CM/ECF account in this court should go to www.pacer.gov, select the Register tab and click the Start button. The Registration Wizard is designed to help you select the best registration option for your needs.
In the NextGen system, all users are required to have their own PACER account. Organizations that wish to consolidate billing and receive one invoice for charges associated with multiple PACER accounts can register for a PACER Administrative Account ("PAA"). All questions regarding PAA accounts should be directed to the PACER Service Center at (800) 676-6856.
- Register for a PAA Account
- PAA Policies and Procedures
- PAA Electronic Learning Module
- PAA FAQs (select the PAA tab)
CM/ECF usernames and passwords are maintained by the PACER Service Center. The court does not have access to your password. If you have forgotten your username and/or password, you must contact the PACER Service Center.
Documentation and Training
- CM/ECF User's Guide
- Overview of Filing a Document
- How to File a Motion
- How to Submit a Document that Initiates a Case
- How to Sign Up for Notice in Cases of Interest
- How to Submit a Bar Application
- How to Order a Certificate of Good Standing or Certificate of Admission
- NextGen FAQs
- Electronic Learning Module: Introduction to Appellate NextGen CM/ECF
- Electronic Learning Module: File a Motion in Appellate NextGen CM/ECF
- Electronic Learning Module: Overview for CJA Panel Attorneys
- PACER Service Center
Contact the PACER Service Center if you need technical assistance or you forgot your login or password.
800-676-6856 (M-F, 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. CST)
- Clerk's Office CM/ECF Help Desk
Contact the CM/ECF Help Desk if you have a general question related to electronic filing. Please do not email documents to the Help Desk.
617-748-9200 (M-F, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST)
- Case Manager
Contact the case manager if you have a question related to a specific case or need assistance correcting an error.
617-748-9057 (M-F, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST)